Fire outbreak whic was caused by power surge burned down more than 40 shops filled up with commodities worth millions of naira at the Ikom main market in Ikom Local Government of Cross River State.
It was gathered that the state’s fire service station at Ikom, which was contacted for help, could not assist the traders because of ‘lack of facilities’ to put out the fire. According to witness, the fire, which started at 2 am on Tuesday, was caused by a power surge from the public power supply.
Despite efforts by shop owners to put it out, the fire could not be contained.
Director-General of the State Emergency Management Agency Mr. John Inaku, who visited the market, expressed shock at the level of destruction.
Inaku said the government would ameliorate the suffering of the victims.
Miss Agbor Okey, a fashion designer, said the fire put her family in a difficult financial position because her shop was the only source of livelihood.
According to him, the burnt shops required total rehabilitation to put them back to use. The agency chief urged the victims to remain calm.
One of the victims, Mr. Augustine Chinedu, said he lost almost all his goods, worth millions of naira.
Chairman of the Ikom Main Market Traders Union, Mr. Caleb Agwu, urged government agencies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and philanthropic individuals and organisations to assist the victims.
READ MORE STORIES…