An Undergraduate Student of University of Calabar died mysteriously, report say yesterday that the reason the death remains unknown. There were fears that he may have died of Ebola.

However, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Mr. Linus Awute, said in a statement that the results from further laboratory test carried out on his remains  were negative  for all known pathogenic viruses, .

This, according to him, has thrown up the possibility of poisoning or intoxication with a chemical.

Results of the first round of laboratory tests proved negative for Ebola Virus and Lassa Fever virus.

The additional tests were carried out at the Redeemers University African Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases at Ede, Osun State.

“The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) will continue with this investigation in collaboration with National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).

Read Also Governor deworms child, meets polio survivors [PHOTOS]

The permanent secretary said:  “Further tests were conducted to establish any bacterial or fungal infection involvement and this also proved negative.

“The possibility of poisoning or intoxication with a chemical cannot be ruled out at this stage.

“The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) will continue with this investigation in collaboration with National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).

Facebook Comments