News emerged on Monday evening that the two clubs had agreed a fee close to 40 million euro plus Keylor Navas for De Gea’s transfer but come Tuesday morning the deal had collapse. Why it collapsed has been explained by Sky Sport.
It was gathered that the relevant paperwork was received 28 minutes after Monday’s European transfer deadline with La Liga confirming that it did not receive the relevant document for the agreement by midnight.
However MARCA has revealed that the deal could be reopened in January.
Man United told Sky Sports that they signed and sent all relevant documentation on time with evidence to prove it but now it seems Real Madrid was at fault for the collapse of the deal.
Spanish football expert Guillem Balague told Sky Sports: “La Liga has confirmed that the documents have not reached them on time and, as it stands, the transfer is not going to take place.
“Everything was done and everyone was waiting. David de Gea was at his girlfriend’s house in Madrid, [Real Madrid president] Florentino Perez was at the Santiago Bernabeu.
“Navas was there too and was waiting to pass a medical, and everything was signed and sent to Manchester.
“But the information is that the documentation didn’t come back from Manchester United on time.
“Reports say the Navas paperwork came in at one minute past midnight in Spain and therefore did not reach La Liga on time, so the transfer is not going to happen.
“There is no precedent for this. Three years ago, Fabio Coentrao could not go to Manchester United for the exact same reason, and Real asked the league if they could have five more minutes, and the league said ‘no’.
“Nobody expects an extension, so everyone is reporting that the deal has not gone through.”
Meanwhile, other out-going transfers have been completed. Manchester United have let Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez and Adnan Januzaj leave the club. The club have so far sold those those along with Johnny Evans, Tyler Blackett, Andeas Lindegaard, Robin Van Peris, Luis Nani and Angel Di Maria.