AfroCreatives Wikimedian in Residence Job Description
Location: Remote (within Africa)
The Africa Narrative is looking for a Wikimedian in Residence to join our team, reporting to the Program Manager. As the Wikimedian in Residence, you will be responsible for collaborating with the African Wikimedian Community alongside stakeholders in the filmmaking and creative industry, including the Diaspora, to welcome African filmmakers and creatives into the Wikimedia Community as new editors and to collaborate with experienced Wikimedians to help these newcomers grow into becoming movement organizers.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about the African film, filmmaking, and the African creative sector more broadly, and who has a deep understanding of contributing to Wikipedia and engaging the Wikimedia Community to grow locally relevant knowledge on Wikipedia by Africans and in different African languages.
About The Africa Narrative: The Africa Narrative is a non-profit that develops singular, high impact initiatives in support of African creatives and the African cultural and creative industries with the aim to strengthen capacity in the continent’s creative economy and global visibility of African cultural soft power.
Project description and goals:
The AfroCreatives Wikiproject aims to support and mobilize creatives and professionals from the African creative sector, as well as enthusiasts more broadly, to contribute and enhance knowledge on Wikipedia about Africa’s creative economy. Its inaugural effort will target the film sectors of Egypt, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Senegal.
- Build the capacity within the film industry in Egypt, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Senegal to contribute knowledge to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
- Increase African-generated content about the continent’s film sector on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects through a network of community organizers.
- Generate awareness and interest among the general public on Wikipedia as a source of valuable information on the film industry of Egypt, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Senegal, and Africa more broadly.
- Use this first AfroCreatives Project as a pilot from which to learn how best to expand the effort to other countries and into other creative sectors.
What we would like you to do in the project:
- Organize three (3) global training sessions open to the film industry in English, French, and Arabic that will be hosted live and available on The Africa Narrative’s YouTube channel for on-demand viewing.
- Organize localized training sessions in each of the four target countries: Egypt, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Senegal, and in the respective languages of Arabic, English, and French.
- Host organized training sessions live and available on The Africa Narrative’s YouTube channel for ‘on-demand viewing.
- Organize online localized edit-a-thon in each of the 4 countries for the newcomers who will sign up for the campaigns.
- Organize a competition in each of the countries to encourage edit-a-thon participants to continue contributions through the end of the campaign.
- Create and maintain a project page on Meta to ensure effective communication of the project to our target audiences.
- Collaborate with the marketing director in the development of compelling and dynamic training modules
- Coordinate with and advise the social media manager on the creation of social media assets for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to promote each of the steps listed above that TAN, its partners, and Wikipedia coordinators will deploy.
- Engage the Wikimedia community on social media engagement and utilize tools on Wikipedia to communicate the project to the African Wikimedia Community.
- Provide input on social media campaigns aimed at the general public that will generate awareness and interest in accessing newly created information on Wikipedia about the Egyptian, Nigerian, Senegalese, and Rwandan film sector and its creatives.
Assessment and Evaluation:
- Ongoing review and assessment of the impact of the campaign, and provide recommendations on the necessary adjustment to help with the design and implementation of the second edition of the AfroCreatives campaign.
- Endline assessment of the AfroCreatives campaign metrics and impact and start to plan the expansion of the AfroCreatives WikiProject to other creative sectors and countries.
Skills we would like you to have
- A track record of editing Wikipedia on Africa-related content.
- Experience with online community organizing and outreach, ideally in the Wikimedia movement
- Excellent written and oral communications and presentation skills in English
- Ability to drive consensus and articulate recommendations and trade-offs
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
It would be even better if you had
- Written and oral proficiency in French and/or Arabic
- An affinity and familiarity with the African cultural and creative sector, particularly its film sector.
- Experience designing effective training or adult learning on technical skills
- Experience adding batches of data to Wikidata or Wikimedia commons
If you are interested in the role, kindly send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV by October 7, 2021
For more information visit: https://www.theafricanarrative.org/wir-application