In February 2020, the United Nations Office to the African Union (UNOAU) and the African Union Commission (AUC) jointly published a commemorative book titled ‘She Stands for Peace; 20 Years, 20 Journeys’, for the 20th Anniversary of UNSCR 1325 (2000).
The book honored the significant role women play in peacebuilding efforts considering the many conflicts registered in the region. This initiative supported the documentation of individual stories and experiences of sixteen African women and 4 women’s organizations. The publication generated much interest from all sub-regions in the continent, including from women leaders and women’s groups.
African women’s voices are inevitable as a tool for enhancing the role women play in peacebuilding efforts, it is in this context that UNOAU is documenting “She Stands for Peace – eBook”.
- Recognize the contributions made by women and women’s organizations in peacebuilding efforts across the continent,
- Document the stories of lived experiences, where possible, illuminate women’s struggles with building sustainable peace; at the different stages in the peacebuilding process,
- Share forward-looking strategies for the implementation of UNSCR 1325, post-2020 based on lived experiences in peacebuilding to inform on-going work in implementing the WPS Agenda in Africa. In so doing,
- Mobilize stakeholders to create an enabling environment and support the participation of women in peacebuilding efforts, in accordance to the UNSCR 1325
Eligibility for nomination
- Individuals or women’s organizations can be nominated
- Self-nominations are welcome
- Nominees must be female citizens of African Union Member States.
- There is no age limit, the book will document the achievements of young and seasoned leaders across generations.
Criteria for Nomination
Nominees who have made impactful contributions in any of the following areas can be considered for nomination.
- Actively participated in peace processes and/or in decision-making related to peace and security or having facilitated other women’s participation in such processes;
- Made significant contributions towards the prevention of sexual and gender-based violence and/or towards promoting gender awareness in conflict prevention and early warning;
- Significantly improved women and girls’ safety, physical and mental health, economic security, and overall well-being, and/or the rights of women and girls and their legal protections.
- Played a significant role on relief and recovery efforts and having incorporated gender perspectives in such efforts;
- Engaged others in actively promoting a cause related to the women, peace and security agenda;
- Acted as an agent of change, demonstrating dedication, commitment and passion to their cause and having led by example;
- Played any other significant role in promoting peace and security at the community, national, regional and/or continental level.
The nomination call will be open till Tuesday, 31st August 2021 (23:59 GMT). Due to the expected large number of applications, only successful nominees will be contacted after the selection process is finalized.
- Before you submit your nomination please read the nomination criteria carefully.
- Nominations must be submitted by downloading the form, filling and emailing a completed form.
- Nominations should be accurate, comprehensive and complete to inform the evaluation of the nomination.
- Nomination of African women and women organizations working tirelessly at grassroots level is encouraged.
- Nominations of African women and women organizations working in rural areas, with refugees, displacement as well as, women living with disabilities are encouraged.
- Nominations will be adjudicated with consideration for geographic balance to ensure fair representation of all regions of Africa.
- Nominations can be submitted in English, Arabic, Portuguese and French.
- Nominees should send the most recent photo that will be published in the compendium, personal information including email and phone number should be indicated in the submission.
To apply, download the form and complete it. All forms should be submitted to: email@example.com(link sends e-mail) within the deadline.
Nominations maybe declined due to the following:
- Nominations which do not focus on specific contributions, but rather list lifetime achievements;
- Dossiers are not complete and /or all supporting document (/s) are not included or not attached;
- If they are employees of any an AU organ or employees of the Regional Economic Communities, UN System;
- If the submission is not clear articulation of the achievement and impact.