Deadline: Aug 1st 2021
This is a position that will hold membership in IVolunteer
International’s Writer’s Council. The “Writer’s Council”
consists of volunteer writers who will keep the organization’s
official blog energized by sharing stories that are mainly relating to
capacity development, human rights & security, sustainable development
goals, research & opinion, women & youth, and volunteer stories.
However, we also welcome stories inspired by current events happening in
the world or in the writer’s own communities. We welcome all creative
topics suggested by our Writers and we are very flexible in approving
The Writers’ Council is a leadership training and activist empowerment
program. Through monthly guest-speaker series, cohort members will be
able to hone their expertise and knowledge on a variety of professional
and personal skills that are essential in creating impact-oriented
advocacy movements. Fellows will also get the opportunity to make new
friendships across the globe and collaborate on covering social issues.
The position is a _flexible_ position, which means that the tasks
allocated to you must be completed on your own time on or before the
deadline and you can work from anywhere, virtually. This is an unpaid,
volunteer position without any financial compensation. The position is
open to citizens of any country. _We always work with your schedule._
Objectives of the Writers’ Council
* Establishing an online platform for youth leaders and writers to
share their stories and the stories of others.
* Training young and aspiring community leaders and activists on
professional development to take their initiatives from advocacy to
* Being a platform for change-making, and a source for inspiration to
* Understand the vision and mission of IVolunteer International and the
* Proven history of community engagement, local activism, and
* Applicants must be between 18 – 35 years of age as of August 1,
* Have _strong _communication skills (reliability, response time) and
have access to software such as Slack, Zoom, and reliable access to the
internet to use other software such as email, Google Drive, etc.
* Have some experience and knowledge of Google Drive, Google Documents,
WordPress and Microsoft Office.
* Be able to author and publish articles on WordPress (training will be
* Have an excellent command of the English language in writing and
* A proven willingness and ability to meet deadlines.
* Have basic soft skills and leadership qualities to work together in a
* Have appropriate time and willingness to commit to achieving the
goals and objectives of the program
* Work together with your assigned Editor to achieve the objectives of
the Writers’ Council and the blog.
* Be able to cover events in the local community and interview
activists and advocates as requested.
* Publish a minimum of four articles per month (1 article per week).
* Attend bi-weekly and/or monthly virtual meetings.
* Attend bi-weekly and/or monthly professional development seminar
All stories authored must be of your own work. If needed, the content
including information and images must be appropriately cited. No
previously copyrighted material is allowed to be in your work. All
authors must have a serious understanding of ethics in journalism and
plagiarism. As a writer, you can write about any topic you’re
interested in as well. In the past, some writers have written articles
to raise awareness about mental health, equal pay, internationally
celebrated days, etc. You do not have to “stick” to a selected few
avenues. We encourage you to be creative.
All selected candidates will receive WordPress training through an
Commitment & Contract
A commitment of a minimum of 3-5 hours a week is_ expected._ This cohort
will be 4-months, from August 23, 2021 to December 15, 2021. If you are
expecting to use this opportunity for college credit, a commitment of a
minimum of 10 hours a week is_ required_.
Recognition & Benefits
* Training on WordPress utilization, academic writing, blog writing,
and general ethics in journalism and feedback on each article for
* Professional Development seminar series organized monthly, held on
Zoom from experts in various fields.
* A letter of recommendation at the end of the volunteer period.
* A personal portfolio of your published articles maintained under a
custom web address.
* The opportunity to network with high-level representatives from
organizations worldwide and to attend exclusive partner events.
* Experience in operating a start-up nonprofit organization and public
* An opportunity to practice your journalism and writing/reporting
* The ability, privilege, and power to give voice to the voiceless.
Application Deadline: August 1, 2021 at 10:00a Eastern Standard Time
Start Date: August 23, 2021
End Date: December 15, 2021
For more information, feel free to visit:
https://www.ivint.org/careers/?swcfpc=1 and select section Writer’s
Council Fellowship – Cohort 5.