Young changemakers around the world are making lasting impacts in their communities, yet their efforts are too often underestimated. We want to change that. USAID’s Global Leadership and Education Advancing Development (Global LEAD) Initiative, YouthPower2: Learning and Evaluation (YP2LE), and Generation Unlimited (Gen U), along with other global partners have joined forces for this digital storytelling contest to show how youth are using the power of change to make the world a better place.
A CONTEST FOR THE DIGITAL STORYTELLERS IN ALL OF US!
We know youth are actively working to improve their communities, countries, and the world, and we want your stories to be heard.
Are you a young changemaker between the ages of 18 and 35? If so, we want to see the impact you are having on your community! The #WatchOurImpact Global LEAD Digital Storytelling Contest begins on June 7. Submit an original, three-minute video or slideshow in Arabic, English, French, or Spanish that tells the story of your youth-led actions to advance local, national, or global development and meets the contest requirements. The story you tell can be personal, that of a group of young changemakers, or that of a youth-led organization.
While any type of development activity would be acceptable, special attention will be given to those stories that link their work to advancing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and/or the following key issues:
- COVID-19/Pandemic Response,
- Education/Skills Development,
- Youth Employment/Entrepreneurship,
- Climate Action,
- Food Security/Resilience,
- Digital Literacy/Security/Action,
- Civic Engagement, and
- Wellness/Violence Reduction.
Prizes for Winning Entries
The five selected winners will be announced on August 2 on YouthLead.org and across all campaign partners’ social media channels. In addition, contest winners will:
- Take part in the USAID Global LEAD #WatchOurImpact Dialogue with other VIPs on August 12.
- Be featured on GenU’s website
- Have the opportunity to meet with a senior member of the GenU global leadership council or board.
- Lead a “social media takeover” of GenU accounts.
- Become part of GenU’s pool of moderators.
- Be connected with GenU country offices.
How to Enter
Entering is easy.
2. Upload your video or slideshow to YouTube.
3. Fill out the submission form. You must be a member of YouthLead.org to submit, but registration is free.
4. Encourage your friends and network to vote for your submission on social media by sharing the link once it’s posted on the #WatchOurImpact Contest Video Gallery page and by using #WatchOurImpact.
Submissions that meet the contest rules will be displayed on the Global LEAD #WatchOurImpact Contest Video Gallery page, where new and existing YouthLead members can vote on their favorite contest entries. There will also be a committee of judges whose votes will be weighted to account for any bots used to interfere with the voting process.
Voting will open on the platform on July 1 and close on July 23. We suggest you submit early to give people plenty of time to vote for your digital story! Encourage your friends to vote!
Do you want to enter the contest, but are unsure of what to submit? Use these helpful resources as a guide for creating your video or slideshow.
How To and Sample Videos
Create a Video for the Contest
Don’t Hesitate! Be the First to Submit!
Not Ready to Submit a Video but Still Want to Participate?
Here are a few other ways to get involved:
- Promote the #WatchOurImpact contest to your network of young changemakers. Not sure what to say? Check out our social media toolkit.
- Vote for your favorite video by registering or logging into YouthLead. Ask your friends to do the same.
- Check back for new submissions.
- Share any relevant trainings, tips, tools, and service-guides to support digital storytelling using #WatchOurImpact and #GlobalLEAD.