Title: Assistant Projects Manager, North Africa
Department: BBC Media Action, North Africa
Reports To: Projects Manager
Based: Tunis, Tunisia
Duration: Fixed-term contract to August 2021 (with possibility of extension dependant on funding)
Desired Starting date: As soon as possible
Overall Purpose of Job
The Project Management team ensures that projects are delivered on time, to budget and to the highest standards, and in accordance with BBC editorial values. The Assistant Projects Manager will be tasked directly by Project Managers, Senior Project Manager and Country Director, although s/he will also be expected to be proactive. Tight deadlines are common. Attention to detail is vital, as well as a can-do attitude and extremely strong relationship management skills. This role supports our North Africa office working on various projects.
- Provide support to country-based project teams by managing aspects of a portfolio of projects, as directed by Senior Project Manager, Project Managers and Country Director, North Africa.
- Ensure that project outputs are achieved by effective management of resources and processes, monitoring schedules and deadlines for project deliverables, forecasting.
- Support smooth running of project activities and coordinate with planning, schedules and documentation such as risk assessments as required.
- Assist the project manager in writing proposals, developing budgets, monitoring project indicators and log frames.
- Contribute to detailed, analytical, high quality donor reports which emphasise learning and impact and a very clear grasp of evaluation frameworks to deadlines.
- Work closely with trainers, trainees and BBC Media Action staff to organise and coordinate project activities (including capacity-building and production activities) in line with agreed objectives.
- Support in selecting trainees for projects where relevant and monitor their progress and support their learning.
- Help coordinate M&E activities with the Research & Learning Group, for example trainer and trainee evaluation of training and production.
- Follow BBC safety requirements and instructions and support project /country office teams to comply with BBC Media Action procedures, such as health and safety guidelines, financial management procedures and procurement guidelines as required.
- Assess future project needs and engage in discussions around work beyond current project.
- Provide support to project teams in liaising with the wider BBC, ordering and shipping equipment, sourcing, contracting, staff recruitment and induction.
- Ad hoc English and Arabic and/or French translation tasks as required.
- Be available to work in office or on location, and may be required sometimes to work long hours, on weekends or on public holidays.
- Be able to travel to Algeria when needed.
Criteria of Eligibility
- Experience of successful project management, ideally in the development field
- Experience in either media or development (with experience in the other being desirable)
- Knowledge and understanding of the varying needs and interests of audiences and beneficiaries in North Africa, particularly Tunisia, Algeria and Libya.
- Knowledge of/ interest in media landscape in North Africa, particularly Tunisia, Algeria and Libya.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to write well in English.
- Fluent in English and able to work in Arabic and/or French to a high standard.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Microsoft office and advanced IT tools proficiency
- Experience living and working in North Africa or the Middle East, ideally in the development and/or media field. Desirable