A SERIOUS ROAD TRAFFIC CRASH NEAR UNIZIK GATE, ALONG AWKA-ONITSHA EXPRESSWAY, AWKA AND A FATAL CRASH AT PEACE MASS TRANSIT PARK UPPER IWEKA, ONITSHA, ALONG ONITSHA-AWKA EXPRESSWAY
At about 5.15pm today Tuesday 16 June, 2020 a serious Road Traffic Crash (RTC) involving a Mercedes Benz Tipper with registration number XA461EBJ and a black coloured V/Wagen Passat with registration number HZ910EKY occurred at near Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe University gate, along Awka-Onitsha expressway, Awka.
2. According to eyewitnesses, the crash was caused by Wrongful Overtaking and Over-Speeding. A total of Four (4) male adults were involved in the crash. One sustained injuries and was rushed to an unknown hospital before the arrival of the FRSC rescue team from Anambra State Sector Command, Awka. No life was lost.
3. FRSC operatives are on ground managing traffic, while arrangements for the removal of the crashed vehicles is in top gear.
4. Also, at about 6.10pm a fatal Road Traffic Crash was recorded in front of Peace Mass Transit Park Upper-Iweka axis, Onitsha. The crash which was caused by Brake Failure and Loss of Control involved a Mercedes Benz Tipper with registration number XA44NSK. It was gathered that the driver of the tipper lost control of the vehicle after the brakes failed and in the process rammed into people including a young female lotto attendant, who together with another male victim were confirmed dead by doctors at Toronto Hospital, where the victims were rushed to by the FRSC rescue team from Upper-Iweka Outpost.
5. A total of 10 victims (5 male adults and 5 female adults) were involved in the crash.
*INJURED*: Eight (3 males and 5 females).
6. The Sector Commander Federal Road Safety Corps Anambra State, CC Andrew A. Kumapayi admonishes vehicle owners and drivers, especially articulated vehicles, to always ensure that there vehicles are checked and serviced regularly, including their braking systems, before embarking on any trip. He also advises drivers to always drive defensively, with maximum concentration. They should be very observant before overtaking other vehicles. He sends his condolences to the families of the dead and wishes the injured victims quick recovery.
RC Pascal A. Anigbo
Sector Public Education Officer
For: Sector Commander
Federal Road Safety Corps, Anambra State.