The members prevented their correspondent from entering the church’s premises when he demanded to speak with their pastor.

One of them, a woman, who felt enraged by the request, said:

“We cannot say anything about what happened. We are not his family members and he (the deceased) was not a church member. Go and meet his people. I don’t want to hear anything; leave our church now!”

However, an elderly man, who did not to give his name, said the deceased was a member of the church, adding that he was awoken on the day by the commotion caused by the incident.

Most residents approached by this correspondent also declined comments on the incident.

He said:
“He (Taofiq) had attended a vigil with members of the church on Friday to Saturday. It was around 5am that he was found dangling on a tree at the back of the church. I don’t know why he killed himself.As the man narrated what he witnessed to Punch, a member of the church stormed his compound and told him to stop.

But he must have been psychologically disturbed. I saw the garment he wore to the church at the place he committed suicide.”

Another resident, who identified himself as Kareem Ibrahim, said Taofiq’s behaviour became strange about a year ago when he quit his mechanic work.

He said:
“I just opened shop that day when a friend came to tell me that someone had died at the back of the church. On getting there, it turned out to be Taofik. He was living around here before, but I don’t know where he relocated to. When he converted to Christianity last year, he changed his name to Segun.

The spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, SP Dolapo Badmos, said investigation was ongoing to ascertain the cause of the incident.

“He was a mechanic and was living a normal life until last year when we observed that his behaviour was changed. I learnt he was defrauded of money, but I don’t know the amount. He was a bachelor.”

She said:
“The Assistant Pastor of the King of Kings Church, Mr. Odunike Abiodun, reported to the police that one Taofik committed suicide near the church, where he came for a vigil. Detectives visited the scene of the crime and investigation is ongoing to unravel the cause of the death. His corpse has been deposited in a morgue for autopsy.”